The last few days have been kind of a whirlwind of crazy but exciting things. Monday I got a call from the surro agency and a potential IP wanted to speak with me. I talked to her for about 30 minutes and it was amazing and heartbreaking at the same time. Listening to her share her struggle to have a child really made me feel that much more excited to help out a family. The agency told me they would let me know in a couple days if she decided to choose me. I felt good about our conversation and just waited for the call. During this process I have already thought about my support system and how much I will need to be support emotionally throughout this journey. I decided to set up interviews with some local doulas and ask them 10 questions I prepared. Here are the questions….
Doula Interview Questions
- How much do you know about surrogacy?
- Will you be open to supporting me at prenatal appointments and other important appointments during my pregnancy?
- Can you travel with me to IVF transfers? Only if my husband is working out of town.
- Do you understand that I’m carrying a child for someone else and that I have no biological attachment to the child?
- If I need more emotional support during the pregnancy are you willing to provide that?
- Since this is different than a normal doula client how much would you fee be and if the intended parents want your support would that pose an additional cost?
- Are you willing to meet the intended parents?
- What are you not willing to do?
- If I conceive twins and need a cesarean and my husband isn’t home are you willing to attend before/during and after the delivery if the hospital allows it?
- Do you have any questions for me?
I did however put my first doula interview, Avira on the spot and ask some pretty difficult and emotional questions for both of us. She was amazing as always and answered what she could honestly and needed to think about some of what was thrown at her. While I was meeting and talking to Avira I had 6 missed called from the agency and a voice mail. I called back after our meeting and was informed that one of my potential matches went for her egg retrieval and she didn’t have any eggs. My heart really broke for her as I know its been a long journey for her and her husband but the agency informed me that they were trying to match me with another IP from China! Her eggs were already here and frozen in San Diego! The agency told me the IP wants the process to go very quickly and she was looking for a surro that was ready now! HELLO that is totally me. So now I’m just waiting to talk to the IP and hopefully start the process. I know there is medical screenings and legal things that need to be done but I’m so excited to start this process. I have 2 more doula interviews to do and I’ve already arranged a birth photographer! Can you tell I’m ready and eager to do this……..